While the thought that goes into presents is what counts the most – sometimes we just want the gifts we give to look really good too. However, this is not always the case.
We all imagine our scissors gliding across the paper with smooth satisfaction, resulting in a perfectly wrapped gift that looks like it is straight out of a department store. But in reality, we are left with jagged edges, lumpy corners and a box that looks like it was wrapped with our feet.
Thankfully, we have top tips that will show you how to wrap presents like a pro. Follow these steps for the perfectly wrapped present.
What you’ll need:
- A box for the present
- Wrapping paper – thick, with a grid on the inside for straight cutting
- Double-sided sticky tape
- Regular sticky tape
What to do:
- Roll out the wrapping paper on a table
- Place the box on the paper
- Bring the paper up the side and cover the top of the box until you have reached the opposite side
- Leave enough extra paper to cover the exposed side of the box. Cut the paper here.
- Straighten the box in the center of the wrapping paper
- Bring the paper up on one side of the box, covering halfway across the top and stick it down with tape
- Bring the other side up and cover the remainder of the box, the paper ideally stretching to the edge of the box
- Fasten the paper down with double-sided sticky tape
- Now for the sides: From the top of the box, push the paper down and stick it to the side of the box with tape
- Crease the paper that is sticking out at the edges to make two triangles
- Fold one triangle into the center of the side of the box and stick it with tape
- Repeat on the other side
- A third triangle will now be below the box
- Fold this triangle upwards and stick it to the box with double-sided tape
- Repeat on the other side of the box
- Use your fingers to crease the paper along the edges of the box for a perfectly professional finish
If you want to make your perfectly professional looking box stand out even more, add some ribbon or holiday bows. You can also stick little gift cards so there is no doubt who this gorgeous-looking gift came from!
Other gift wrapping ideas:
- Put the gift in a nice bag and stuff the top with coloured tissue paper
- Use brown paper and twine to create a rustic look
- Wrap the gift in fabric from an old jumper or tea towel
- Use recycled paper or old newspapers for your eco-friendly loved ones
- Attach festive ribbon or acorns to wrapped gifts to give them a real holiday feel
If you are looking for more helpful tips this holiday season, check out how to get your kids to help with Christmas dinner!