What’s the first thing you hear when kids come home from school? I love you? I missed you? Nope. You get: I’m hungry!
Here are three easy, yummy and nutritious after school snack recipes that will keep your kids filled until they start saying: I’m hungry, when’s dinner? Make sure you watch our ‘How To’ video below, and let us know if you try any of these recipes by leaving a comment.
Easy, Healthy Nachos
o A handful of whole wheat tortilla chips
o 1/4 cup clack beans
o 1/4 cup low-fat cheese
o 1/2 cup salsa
o 2 tbsp. non-fat Greek yogurt
o 2 tbsp. guacamole
- Preheat oven to low broil.
- Layer tortilla chips, beans and cheese in a pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove once cheese is melted. Top with salsa, yogurt and guacamole. Yum!
o 1 tbsp. butter
o 1 whole wheat quesadilla tortilla
o Handful of shredded cheddar cheese
o 6-8 thin apple slices
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Lay a flour tortilla in the pan and top one half of it with grated cheese (reserving a little extra cheese).
- Place the apple slices in the slightly melted cheese and let settle. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and fold the tortilla in half. Cook until golden on both sides.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
The Perfect Parfait
o 1 cup Greek yogurt
o ½ cup of fresh berries
o ¼ cup low-fat, high protein and fibre granola
- Layer these ingredients (minus the honey), one at a time: Start with the yogurt, add berries on top, sprinkle granola and repeat.
- Drizzle honey on top.